Monday, March 23, 2009

Faithfulness in the small things

Disclaimer:
This blog ultimately talks about an area of my life in which I have been convicted since I first began ministry 5 years ago. It sounds a bit harsh but I'm writing to myself.

Sometimes it's easier to pursue lofty humanitarian, environmental, or ministry goals than to be faithful in little things like forgiving a friend, being patient with a growing child, and inviting a loved one "in" after a long day at work. I am troubled by this realization. It's no wonder that the writer of 1 Timothy said "If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church." Pursuing ideals at the expense of one's family is an enticing evil that masks our resistance to discipleship. True discipleship is taking out the garbage, rocking a crying child when you just want to go to bed, and putting down the (phone, remote control, video game, laptop) when a loved one wants to converse.